You know you’re not supposed to believe everything you hear, but sometimes we all get a little gullible. Myths and old wives tales about our bodies have been around for ages telling us things that seem to make sense, but are totally false.
And new myths pop up every day. Take a look at some of these before telling someone the not-so-gospel truth.
1. Despite what your mom told you, crossing your eyes won’t get your face stuck that way.
2. Reading in the dark won’t ruin your eyesight. In the dark your eyes will switch from using their cones to their rods making it more difficult.
3. Chomping down on carrots like Bugs Bunny won’t make your eyes any stronger.
4. We use more than ten percent of our brains. We use all we have, just not all at once.
5. Swallowing gum doesn’t take 7 years to digest. It passes through just like the pennies or toy soldiers you gobbled up as a tot.
6. You can’t determine the gender of a pregnant woman’s baby based on how high or low its carried. The 50/50 chance makes it easy odds to believe, but it just isn’t true.